Below is information about the homework each band student should complete this coming weekend. This entire practice routine should only take about 15-20 minutes- please find the time eaach day to work through the steps below to get better at your instrument:
Practice Assignment- Last Updated on Thursday, 9-22.
For Percussion, Woodwinds & Brass!
- DO THESE ITEMS AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR PRACTICE: Breathing Exercises, Sizzle Exercises- see First Lessons handout. -2 minutes
- WARM UP: Mouthpiece/Headjoint practice- see First Lessons handout. Then, Line #1 on the Band Warm-up Page- see handout. -5 minutes
- REVIEW: For WWs & Brass = Sound Innovations book, page 5- all lines; page 6- lines 6-8. -4-5 minutes.
- FOCUS: Sound Innovations book, page 6- lines 9-11. -5-7 minutes
- VIDEO PRACTICE LOG (VPL) #2: Record yourself performing Line 9 on Page 6 in your Sound Innovations book. (As a reminder, "performing" shows the result of the practice you did to improve your playing!) VPL #2 is due by the end of the day on Sunday, September 26th. There is a 5 day grace period if you cannot get this completed this weekend. All scores will be final for VPL #2 in the grade book after Friday, October 1st. VPL #2 should NOT be emailed to your band teacher, but submitted using Flipgrid as we taught you in class last week. Please contact Mr. Cosby if you have forgotten your Flipgrid code for your band class.
- WRITTEN WORK: Complete the "Your First 5 Notes" page on your own at home. This written assessment on your note reading skills is due on Monday, September 27th for B Day students and Tuesday, September 28th for A Day students.
- CHALLENGE: Are you getting bored in band? No worries- there are plenty of challenging things to work on! For example, look on page 7 of your Sound Innovations book... notice the notes on this page are no longer 4 counts! Can you figure all of these notes without stopping in between? Can you doe this while using your "secret weapon?" We will look at these lines more next week in band class. -3 minutes
- Take instrument apart, clean the instrument (for woodwinds)/empty water from instrument (for brass) and put SAFELY away in case -1 minute.
TOTAL PRACTICE TIME = 15-20 minutes.
Tom Cosby (firstname.lastname@example.org) John Myre (email@example.com)